A reminder to all readers we are celebrating our 75th anniversary of being open on this site. There is plenty happening such as a themed celebration day for pupils, a tea-party for former pupils, students are working on a time-line and we will be sharing facts about the history of the school on our website each week after Feb ½ term. We have all the wonderful entries for the year 7 logo competition displayed in our theatre foyer and the winning logo, designed by Lauren Harrison-Oakes, will be used for all things related to our 75th anniversary celebrations.
Thank you to those who have responded to our request for stories/memories of being a pupil here, school photos and memorabilia. The earliest photographs sent in are from 1939! Do keep them coming in.
We recently interviewed some former pupils. Here’s a snippet of what they had to say about their time here:
Barrie Ellis who attended from 1939 – 1944, shared how he wasn’t very sporty and didn’t enjoy rugby so he would help ‘dig for victory’ during World War II. The school had a vegetable garden which supplied the cooks with all they needed to feed staff and pupils at lunch time.
Hilary Linnington attended from 1958 - 65. She shared how boys and girls were not allowed to mix. They had separate social areas, sat on opposite sides of the classroom and could not sit on the same side of the table at lunch times.
Richard Comer attended from 1960 – 66. He shared how during his time here as a pupil the top news locally and globally was:
- Very bad winter in 1962/63. The coldest of the 20th century
- John F Kennedy died Nov 1963
- Forest were in division 1, generally mid-table until 1967 semi-final when they were runner-up
- Richard attended a trip to Twickenham, England won the world cup
Laura McCreedy attended 1979 – 84. Here’s what stood out for her during the 80s:
“Our year was the first ever year we had a non-uniform day and it was a big thing in the 80s as fashion and music was crazy and that’s all 13, 14, 15 year olds were interested in, was fashion! We talked for ages about this day then the teachers played a trick on us and they came in school uniform like St. Trinians and that showed the teachers had a sense of humour. We also had what is now like a school council. That was new then where children were asked what they want. We had about £30 to spend in the common room and we brought a record player. Unfortunately, there was only 2 or 3 records and they kept playing this one record over and over again and it was called D.I.S.C.O by Ottawan and it was 1980. We all had to take care as £30 was an awful lot of money to spend on a piece of kit then”.
You can listen to these interviews at our exhibition on Saturday 29th March from 11am – 2pm in the Cedar Suite at the West Bridgford library
- The West Bridgford School officially opened on Loughborough Road in September 1938. 500 pupils attended.
- The building was designed by County Architect, Mr Leonard Maggs. The work was carried out by Henry James (Mansfield) Ltd. Unfortunately, Mr Maggs died before the school was opened.
- In 1938 The West Bridgford School was erected on a site of 19 ½ acres, of which 1 ½ acres were covered by buildings. The rest of the area consisted of playing fields. It was planned on the quadrangle principle with the Assembly and Dining Halls forming an additional central block.(Taken from The West Bridgford Potted History)
- The West Bridgford School staff and pupils took a keen interest in various sports, particularly rugby, cricket, tennis and hockey. The West Bridgford Grammar school house system was valued by the school community, enabling staff and pupils to participate in healthy competition with sport, music and drama. The houses were once Byron, Chaworth, Cavendish, Manvers, Musters and Pierrepont then changed in the 70s to Twickenham, Lords, Wembly and Wimbledon. We have some wonderful photographs of school sport teams from 1939 – 1959. We would like to share a few with you.
- Timeline of The West Bridgford School - Head Teachers and Name Changes
1938 - The West Bridgford County Secondary School opens
1938 - Mr Holmes is head teacher from the school opening until 1949
1944 – Changed to The West Bridgford Grammar School
1944 - Fees are abolished due to the Education Act
1950 - Mr Alston becomes head teacher until 1967
1967 - Mr Cornall becomes head teacher until 1972
1969 – Merge with The Lutterell Secondary School. Name is changed to The West Bridgford Comprehensive
Mr Marden becomes head teacher in 1972 until 1988
Mr Cokeham becomes head teacher from 1988 – 2004
Mr McDonough is the current Principal
- What is now the library used to be the school dining hall (see photo). One former pupil remembers how school meals was served by the head of the table, usually a prefect.